Valentine’s Day is a perfect opportunity to stock up on products that will appeal to shoppers looking for the perfect gift for their loved ones.
Filipinos are known to be “the most emotional people in the world”, and they are not afraid to say “I love you”. While some Filipinos are kuripot (frugal) when it comes to splurging on Valentine’s Day gifts, online businesses can still tap and tug the Filipinos’ romantic hearts.
When choosing what Valentine’s Day items to sell, you want something popular with shoppers, and that will generate a healthy profit margin. Moreover, you want to package them in a way that will pull at the emotional heartstrings of your customers.
Keep reading – we’ll share some of the BEST items to sell during the Valentine’s Day season. We’ll also provide TIPS on how to market, even on a low budget, these products to your customers.
VALENTINE’S DAY IS REVENUE DAY
Valentine’s Day is an excellent opportunity to make extra money. Pre-pandemic, people would go out to celebrate the day of love. Often eating out, watching a movie, and splurging on romantic gifts for their special someone. When the world seemingly shut down due to the pandemic, people went online to find different ways to connect and celebrate this special day.
Looking at 2019 to 2021, iPrice reported an increase of 238% in online search for “care package” while “romantic gifts” increased by 57% in Asian countries, including the Philippines.
Interest in the following go-to Valentine’s Day products also grew: 236% in “scented candles”, 123% in “roses”, 83% in “flowers”, 82% in “lingerie”, 50% in “chocolates”, 49% in “bouquets”, 22% in “jewelry”, and 18% in “perfume”.
Here in the Philippines, there’s a significant increase in web searches for “Valentine’s Gift”, “flower bouquet”, “roses”, and “chocolates” during Valentine’s Week. The interest declined due to the pandemic. However, the data still shows that Filipinos are looking to express their love through gifts during this season of love.
So what do all of these mean for your business? It’s time to take advantage of this season of love and BOOST YOUR SALES!
WHAT TO SELL FOR VALENTINE’S DAY
Valentine’s day is one of the most popular times for retailers. It is a time when people are looking to express their love and appreciation for each other, so gifts are a great way of showing how much you care.
But wait! This season is not just for those in a romantic relationship. Family, friends, colleagues, classmates, and even pets receive gifts during Valentine’s Day. A 2019 survey revealed that 79% of Filipinos celebrate Valentine’s Day, and they are willing to spend PHP 1,759 on gifts.
There are lots of products that sell fast online during Valentine’s week, but we’ve narrowed it down to our TOP FIVE picks.
1. Chocolates, Candies, and Other Sweets
What’s the sweetest way to say “I love you”? Buy them chocolates, candies, and sweets, of course!
These are classic Valentine’s Day gifts for a reason. Most people have sweet tooths, and chocolates are well-known go-to comfort food. Studies show that chocolates and other sugary foods “trigger reward pathways in the brain”. Eating chocolates and sweets received during Valentine’s Day will likely cause positive feelings associated with the giver.
How can your business STAND OUT with so many online retailers selling chocolates and other sweet products? Here are some tips:
- Steer away from the usual and think of creative ways to sell your chocolates in bulk. Why not sell chocolate bouquets, sweets grazing boxes, or chocolate buckets?
- Say no to big commercial brands and support local. Get your chocolates from artisan chocolate shops, or make your own hand-crafted chocolate concoctions instead.
- Go the healthy route. Filipinos are becoming more health-conscious. You can sell healthier alternatives of this favorite Valentine’s Day present to a niche market.
2. Bouquet of Flowers
How many ways can one say, “I love you”? Let the flowers speak in multiple ways!
Flowers are always a popular gift for Valentine’s Day. Flowers have different meanings – it’s no surprise that these have become go-to gifts for those who want to express their love.
You can go the traditional route and sell bouquets of fresh flowers. Or, if you want something that lasts, you can sell bouquets of preserved flowers. Additionally, you can also sell potted flowers that recipients can take care of.
Here are some of the most popular Valentine’s Day flowers that you can add to your inventory:
- Red Roses speaks of love, romance, beauty, and perfection.
- White Roses to convey purity of intention.
- Hyacinth symbolizes one’s commitment.
- Red Chrysanthemum speaks of love and passion.
- Pink Asters symbolize love, charm, and sensitivity.
- Daisies convey beauty, innocence, and purity.
- Tulips speak of comfort and warmth, a symbol of perfect love.
- White Oriental Lilies symbolize beauty, class, and style.
- Orchids convey love, beauty, luxury, strength, and exotic seduction.
- Gardenias speak of purity and joy, a symbol of deep love.
|Upsell your products through a VALENTINE’S DAY ADVENT CALENDAR. Create 14-day surprise gift boxes with one Valentine’s gift idea for each day. You can pre-choose the products or have buyers choose their own. From chocolates to flowers to other treats!|
3. Dinner Date or Breakfast in Bed
The way to man’s heart is through his stomach, a famous saying goes. But would you agree that sharing a meal brings people together regardless of gender?
With pandemic restrictions easing up, people are anxious to go out and celebrate love with romantic dinners. That said, indoor and outdoor seating capacities are still limited. Offering an option to book online would help your customers have a more pleasurable dining experience.
But don’t limit your services! Offer exclusive online deals and deliver to those who want to stay in and spend a safe Valentine’s Day at home. Here are some unique Valentine’s Day surprise gifts ideas:
- All-day “Breakfast in Bed” Meal Set – Good option for busy professionals or those who don’t know how to cook but still want to make a sweet gesture to express their love for their husband or wife.
- Cook-it-yourself Valentine’s Day Special – An ideal bonding activity for couples and families, sharing good laughs and meaningful conversations while preparing their meal.
- Buy One, Gift One Deal – Perfect for those in long-distance relationships who want to celebrate love by sending a surprise Valentine’s Day gift to their girlfriend or boyfriend.
Classic and timeless, jewelry is a crowd favorite when it comes to Valentine’s gift ideas. Gifting jewelry is said to represent one’s devotion and lasting love.
Jewelry comes in different types and budgets. It could be a cute Valentine’s Day gift or an elegant piece. Like flowers, jewelry has different meanings and symbolism depending on the gemstone, material, culture, and faith.
Valentine’s Day favorites include jewelry with the following:
- Heart – the ultimate symbol for Valentine’s Day
- Infinity – signifies the love that has no beginning and no end
- Key – conveys that the recipient holds the key to the giver’s heart
- Circle – symbolizes wholeness, perfection, and oneness
- Star – sends the message that the recipient is a dream come true
Whether you’re planning to resell jewelry items in your online store or sell your hand-crafted jewelry, adding these elements would surely be a hit to your customers.
5. Gift Cards or e-Vouchers
BUT what if your products or services are NOT typical Valentine’s Day-themed special gifts?
Gift cards and e-vouchers are always a safe bet for Valentine’s Day. They’re easy to sell. And there is no risk involved in getting them wrong since the recipient can choose whatever they want themselves. You can also offer to customize the gift cards with a personal message for their loved ones.
Take it up a notch and sell a set of gift coupons redeemable all year round. With a more practical Valentine’s Day gift for him and her, you can make your customers’ lives easier! What’s more, this special valentine’s day sale is an excellent opportunity to bring in repeated sales.
|Did you know that you can personalize your Prosperna myStore theme to fit your brand and “dress up” for seasonal holidays?|
MAKE SURE YOUR WEBSITE IS READY
If you’re not already selling Valentine’s Day products on your website, now is the time to do it! Make sure your website is properly set up and updated with all of the latest products. And of course, don’t forget to promote your Valentine’s Day specials on your social media to reach more people and boost your sales this season!
DON’T HAVE A WEBSITE YET? WE HAVE GREAT NEWS FOR YOU…
GET 22% OFF when you avail Prosperna myStore, the easiest online store builder made for Philippine MSMEs! Valid until February 22 ONLY.
Prosperna’s Website Builder is created specifically for Philippine SMEs – so what are you waiting for?
- Set up your eCommerce website for as low as USD $25.50 (PHP 1,275).
- Accept multiple online and offline payment options.
- Offer nationwide delivery through local shipping providers.
- Connect to multiple social channels and online marketplaces.
- Enjoy local support and our “we do it for you” service.
READY TO START YOUR eCOMMERCE BUSINESS IN THE PHILIPPINES?
Our mission is to empower 100,000 MSMEs in the Philippines with simple and affordable eCommerce software so you can get started on your journey to the Cyber Marketplace in the fastest possible time, without breaking the bank.
We are super passionate about helping Philippine MSMEs – we’re giving you a free account FOREVER!
Want to start selling online? Create your FREE forever account now. Register here